Human beings have been using candles for thousands of years. Scientists believe that they were invented approximately 5,000 years ago in ancient Egypt, but no one really knows for sure. The one thing that everyone knows to be a fact, however, is that candles are some of the most useful products in most people’s households and can be used for a variety of different purposes.
Of course, not all candles are created equally. There are candles that are made only for emergency lighting, ones that are made only for aromatherapy and still others that are made purely for decorative purposes. And the quality of the candles in each of these different categories can vary quite dramatically. This prompted us to list what we feel are the top ten candles below.
10. Yankee Candle 2-Wick
With a bold French vanilla scent, this candle is perfect for the holidays and will catch the attention of anyone coming into a room with it. This product is made with a high-quality mineral wax that is mixed with the best natural extracts possible. Each jar has a label that can be completely removed and that makes it easier to place the candle. This product also has 2 wicks that are made from 100% natural fibers and is designed to create the best burn possible. And finally, this 22-ounce candle has a removable metal lid that not only enhances its look but enables it to be easily stored.
9. Gerrard Larriett Soy Candle
This soy candle is designed to help people effectively battle some of the worst scents in their home. This product can be used to rid the home of pet or cigarette odors, or it can be used for aromatherapy. It’s made with high-quality soy wax and comes in a variety of exciting scents including Fortifying Pumpkin, Detoxifying Lemongrass, and Unwinding Lotus. These candles are handmade in the U.S., are placed in a reusable apothecary jar and come with a gift box. All of which allows these candles to be used as a decorative piece around the home or as something to be given away as a gift.
8. Yankee Candle Large Jar
This product from Yankee Candle is placed in a large 22-ounce jar and that means that it can not only be used as a centerpiece, but it can be used to bring up to 150-hours of light into a room. And thanks to its premium blend of paraffin-grade wax, this burn is consistent and doesn’t dim like other candles tend to do. This candle will also leave a vibrant autumn scent in any room in which it’s burned. This scent is a perfect combination of maple leaves and birch, orange blossoms and juniper berries. This combination of scents, which they whimsically call Autumn Leaves, is ideal for burning during Thanksgiving and Christmas, or anytime the homeowner wants to embrace the smell of fall.
7. Wax & Oils Soy Wax
There are many reasons for a person to love this 8-ounce candle. For one, it’s handmade in the United States using nothing but the highest grade soy wax and cotton core wicks. And unlike some other candles, this is a 100% soy wax that doesn’t have any animal or petroleum products added to it. It also means that this product doesn’t contain and will never contain GMO-ingredients, pesticides or herbicides. Another thing to enjoy about this product is that it has a lavender scent that’s nice and bright and contains a slight touch of cedar and patchouli to make it more complex. And finally, this product is packaged in recyclable materials, so it’s also Earth-friendly.
6. Lulu Candles Luxury Soy
This charismatic and slow burning candle is designed to give a long lasting burn that will fill the homeowner’s home with whatever wonderful scent it’s designed to have. This product comes in one of a variety of different scents including Lemon Vanilla Bean, Blueberry Cobbler, Coconut Mango, and Pineapple Evergreen. Not only are these scents strong and bold, but they are some of the more imaginative scents that can be found in candles nowadays. The last two things worth mentioning about these candles are that they are handcrafted in the USA, and they are a really excellent gift to give to that special someone in your life.
5. Way Out West (2-Pack)
This 2-pack of candles are ideal for aromatherapy use, and the two jars can provide up to 80+ hours of light. They are available in a number of scent combinations which include Lavender & Eucalyptus Mint, Sangria & Spicy Pumpkin, and Sweet Orange & Lemongrass Lavender. They are also packaged in sturdy gift boxes so they can easily be given to family and friends for special occasions. Whether these candles are used to add a little bit of scent to a room, to cover the odor of a pet, or for aromatherapy purposes, it’s sure to improve the homeowner’s environment dramatically.
4. Bolsius Parrafin Pillar 4-Pack
With nice sturdy bases and easy-to-light wicks, these candles are designed to give the homeowner the high-quality light they need for their home. Whether it’s used for emergencies, special ceremonies or special occasions, these candles are ready to burn for up to 18-hours at a time. They are well-crafted and are made of paraffin wax, so they burn cleanly each and every time. Since they have a nice ivory color to them, they can also be used for decorative purposes, even if they aren’t being lit. Each of these candles is 3.5-inches tall and is ready to be used immediately.
3. Bolsius Unscented Tea Lights (100-Pack)
Not everyone needs one long-burning candle for their home. Some people need lots of little candles that can each burn anywhere from 2.5 to 3.5-hours, and for these people, this 100-pack of tea lights is simply perfect. All of these high-quality tea-lights are smokeless and odorless, so the only thing they produce is light. They are also dripless and produce a nice smooth flame. All of this means that these tea lights are ideal for weddings, as restaurant centerpieces or for birthdays. They can also be retained for emergencies or for powering small candle stoves. These are candles which are manufactured in Europe from high-quality ingredients and produce a nice quality light.
2. Bolsius 10-Inch Tapered 30-Pack
This 30-pack of tapered 10-inch candles can be used for a variety of different purposes. They can be kept in the pantry for emergencies, used for parties or romantic dinners, or used for weddings. They are made from a high-quality paraffin wax in Europe and are equipped with 100% cotton wicks. They have a nice ivory color to them and are completely unscented when they burn. They also produce very little smoke when they burn. Although they don’t claim to be dripless, they do tend to drip very little as they burn. Overall, these are very attractive candles that look and perform better than other comparable, and often overpriced, candles currently available.
1. White Household Taper Candles
Every household is in need of a high-quality taper candle for use during special occasions, for emergencies and power outages, or for romantic dinners. And these candles really fit the bill. They have a nice white color to them and are made from the highest quality wax by the largest candle manufacturer in Europe. Each candle burns for approximately 7-hours and produces a nice, clean and flicker-less light that will light even the darkest of rooms. And since there are 45 of these candles in each box, the user is certain to have plenty of candles for when they need them.
Candle Buying Guide
Candles come in all different types and are intended for a variety of different purposes. There are candles made out of soy, paraffin, wax, and beeswax, and there are candles that are made for use during an emergency, for scenting the home or for decorating the home. If all of this seems confusing, don’t worry because we’ve created a guide which will help determine which type of candle you should buy. Below are some things to consider when buying a candle for your home.
Candles According to Wax Type
One of the best ways to differentiate between different candle types is to determine what type of wax the candle uses. Below are some of the more common waxes used, as well as their key characteristics.
- Paraffin Wax: Candles made with this wax are some of the more common ones available. This wax is made from a petroleum byproduct that makes it useful for extremely tall candles and for votive candles.
- Beeswax: These candles are capable of burner longer than other candle wax types and also burn cleaner.
- Soy Wax: These candles aren’t based on petroleum byproducts, so they’re often considered a green alternative to paraffin wax candles. They also last approximately 30% longer than paraffin waxes.
- Bayberry Wax: Although it’s quite rare to see this wax used in candles along, it is often mixed with soy wax candles in holiday candles.
Candles According to Use
Candles can also be bought according to how they’re going to be used. And there’s quite a variety of different candles available. With that being said, however, we’re just going to stick with the main types that are commonly found in most households.
- Votive Candles: These candles are often used for celebrations or for religious ceremonies, and they are not only lightweight but also inexpensive.
- Tea Lights: These candles are also extremely inexpensive, as well as being extremely light. They can be used for everything from dinner parties to adding a little atmosphere to an evening bath.
- Pillars: Pillars are good for emergency situations and for making impressive centerpieces for tables.
- Taper Candles: These candles can also be used for emergency use but are most commonly used for dinner parties and other festive occasions.
- Glass Jar Candles: These candles are often either scented or are designed for decorative purposes.
Uses for Candles
All of us know the common uses for candles, but few people know that candles can be used for more than just light, scent, or for decorative purposes. They can be used for a variety of different jobs around the home and are a lot more useful than people realize. In order to show our readers just how versatile candles can be, we’ve created a few uncommon candles uses below.
- Coat Zippers: In cold weather, zippers can begin to stick. However, this problem can easily be fixed by rubbing a little bit of candle wax on both ends of the zipper. This will lubricate the zipper and allow it to move more freely up and down.
- Eliminate Squeaking Hinges: Rub a little bit of candle wax on a door hinge and it will lubricate it enough to prevent it from squeaking.
- Make Shoveling Snow Easier: If a little bit of candle wax is rubbed on the head of a shovel, it will prevent snow from sticking to it. This will make shoveling your walk a whole lot easier.
- Fix a Frayed Shoelace: Is the end of your shoelace fraying? Well, if it is, then dip the end in melted wax and it will help hold the shoelace together until it can be replaced.
- Use As a Pincushion: If you have loose pins or needles, then they can be inserted into a candle to keep them together and safe until you’re ready to use them.
- Emergency Heat Source: A candle can be kept in a car and burned if the car is immobilized by winter weather. Although the candle won’t provide a ton of heat, it will keep the car’s temperature high enough to potentially prevent the occupants of the car from freezing to death.
Candle Safety Tips
Although candles are really safe when they’re used in a responsible manner, they are still a source of fire and must be used with caution. Below are a few tips that can keep the candle user safe when they are using this product.
- A burning candle should never be left unattended.
- They should never be carried through the home.
- They should always remain on a stable surface.
- They need to always be burned away from all flammable materials.
- The homeowner should never go to sleep while they’re burning a candle.
- Candles should be kept away from children
- Candles should not be used around pets
- They should always be burned in a well-ventilated room.
- The wicks should be kept at the proper length—which is a 1/4-inch long.
- They should be kept approximately 3 to 4-inches away from each while burning.
- Candles should never be left on top of a stove.
- Candle users should read and understand all the manufacturer’s directions.