Safety razor blades are manufactured by different manufacturers located all over the world, and each of these brands claims to offer the best blades available. While razor blades may all make look the same to the average person, there are definitely distinctions that can be made between the different brands that currently exist. Some blades have a duller profile than others, while others are too sharp and aggressive for everyday use. And all of this can make it hard for the consumer to find the brand that’s suitable to use in their particular safety razor. It really seems like a guessing game sometimes.
Fortunately, you don’t have to guess which blade is right for your safety razor. That’s because we have done the research for you and have found the blades that are the perfect combination of durability, sharpness, and affordability. These are blades which will shave your beard without cutting your skin to shreds and will offer you the best value for your money. We know a safety razor is only as good as its blades, so we present to you the top ten best brands currently available. We hope this list serves you well.
10. Voskhod Double Edge Razor Blades
These Russian-made razors are razor sharp for an exceptional shave, yet are comfortable to use each and every time. Each of the blades is Teflon coated for smooth tracking over the user’s skin and for increased durability. Each of the blades is individually wrapped for safety, and each one is capable of providing the user with several shaves before they need to be tossed away. And these blades are suitable for just about any safety razor brand that uses double-edged blades include Classic Gillette, Merkur and Parker Safety Razors. Which makes these blade suitable for anyone looking for a close shave.
9. Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades
Designed to be compatible with a wide range of different safety razors, these double-edged razor blades can give just about anybody a nice close shave that they won’t soon forget. These razors are made from Swedish steel that’s been hardened and ground using high-tech equipment, and each of their cutting edges has a layer of chromium ceramic, tungsten and platinum added to them for the optimal edge strength possible. This allows these blades to last longer than conventional blades, and to deliver an exceptional shaving experience. They are high-quality blades that do a satisfactory job. And this automatically sets them apart from the low-quality cartridge blades that have flooded the market.
8. Merkur Double Edge Razor Blades
Everyone knows that a single double-edged safety razor shaves with less irritation than most multiple blade razors, so it should be surprised that these blades can do the same. They are made from high-quality stainless steel that has super-platinum razor edges that allow them to be flexible enough to shave but allows them to hold up to heavy use. Each one of these exceptional blades is then individually wrapped in wax paper and placed in a pack of 10 blades. These blades are manufactured by a company that’s been making high-quality shaving equipment for over a century, and their attention to detail really shows in this product.
7. Dorco ST300 Platinum Extra Razor Blades
These super sharp and durable razor blades are flexible enough to travel easily over the curves and features of your face, all while delivering an exceptionally close shave. It’s made from high-quality stainless-steel that has a platinum-plus coating that allows the blade to hold up to heavy use without the edge collapsing. When paired with a quality shaving cream, this product does an amazing job of shaving facial hair. And since it has a design that’s compatible with most safety razor models, just about anyone can enjoy the quality and smoothness of these double-edged razor blades that are imported from Korea.
6. Wilkinson Sword Classic Razor Blades
When you need a double-edge safety razor blade that cuts as close as a sword would, or is at least close to cutting facial hair this closely, then you are probably going to want to take a look at these high-quality blades. They are constructed from stainless steel and are imported for Germany for use in just about any compatible safety razor model that uses double-edged blades. Their edges have a special triple coating for added durability and usability. Their superior edges are coated with chromium for corrosion resistance, ceramic for increased durability and PTFE that creates an irritation-free shave.
5. Shark Super Chrome Razor Blades
Packed in a box with 20 tucks of 5 blades each, this pack of Shark Super Chrome contains 100 high-quality double-edged razor blades. Each of these blades is made from durable stainless steel and have been polymer coated to increase their smoothness and to make them extremely long lasting. They are capable of providing an exceptional shave when they are placed into any compatible safety razor. And since they are compatible with all of the major razor brands, including Gillette, Merkur, Parker and Gem safety razors, just about anyone can enjoy their premium quality design. They are simply a great product that’s easy to use.
4. Super Crystal Double-Edge Blades
Manufactured by Persona in Israel, these high-quality double-edged razors have been used in safety razors all around the world. They are compatible with a wide range of different safety razor brands including but not limited to Parker, Gillette, and Merkur. They are even used by some barbers in suitable straight edge razors that use this particular type of razor blade. Each of these razors is extremely sharp and provide a professional shave each and every time they’re used. And since they are manufactured according to exacting standards, they are also exceptionally durable as well and can be used multiple times before needing to be replaced.
3. Astra Platinum Razor Blades
Made from some of the highest quality stainless steel available and constructed according to exacting standards, these Astra Platinum blades are designed to give the user the closest shave possible but do it without nicking or razor burning the user’s face. Each of these double-edge blades is designed to be extremely durable and to hold up to even the coarsest of beards. They are also designed to keep their edges beyond just one use, so users can use them on several different occasions. Anyone looking for a high-quality product that provides excellent results may want to see how these blades work for them.
2. Feather Double Edge Blades
Manufactured in Japan using high-quality stainless steel that’s been designed to exacting standards and has a premium platinum coating on its edge, this product is designed to provide the best shaving results possible. Each of these blades has been designed with quality in mind, and their edges are able to hold up to heavy use. These blades are super sharp, super smooth and are about as comfortable as you would want a safety razor blade to be. They are outstanding blades that are compatible with a number of different safety razor models and will provide the user with an exceptional shave.
1. Vikings Blade Replacement Blades
Although it’s only designed to be compatible with Vikings Safety Razors, these double-edged blades can also be used in several different razor models. And there’s a good reason to use these blades, too. That’s because they are made in the USA from quality components. They are manufactured using Swedish steel, and each blade lasts for as many as 7 different shaves. That makes these blades one of the longest lasting razor blades currently on the market. These platinum coated blades have an extremely durable design that allows them to hold up to even the toughest of beards. They are also extremely sharp and comfortable to use as well.
Keeping Your Safety Razor in Good Shape
If you’re new to using a safety razor, then you probably should realize that there are a few things to consider when buying this particular type of razor. And one of those things is that you are going to have to devote a little bit of time in caring for it. Safety razor blades can and do rust if they aren’t properly maintained, so taking a few moments to keep your razor in good shape is always a good idea.
Having said that, we’ve decided to put together a little guide for you that will help you keep your safety razor and its blade in good physical condition. Following these tips will keep your blade from rusting, help it stay sharper longer, and help prevent it from being a tool that actually causes razor burn. Now that we’ve set this guide up let’s get right into keeping your safety razor blade in good condition.
Don’t Leave it in The Shower
The one thing that you don’t want to do with your safety razor blade, or your safety razor for that matter, is to store it in the shower or the bathtub. Leaving it in contact with moisture will only cause the blade to rust, and then you’re left with the task of having to fix the problem. Moisture is such a problem for these kinds of razors I wouldn’t even leave them in the bathroom at all. I would store them in a dry location such as a drawer in my dresser or a nightstand.
Take it Apart After Each Use
Yes, I know that there’s going to be a lot of controversy surrounding this piece of advice. I know that many people simply rinse their razor under a running tap, shake it off and then store it where ever they store it. And they do it all without taking it apart. However, let me just suggest that there may actually be a benefit to taking the razor blade out of the safety razor and giving it a proper cleaning. It’s the best way, in my opinion, to keep the blade clean and dry.
Just take the razor blade out of the safety razor, run it under tap water and then dry it gently with a towel. Don’t run the towel along the edge of the blade because you’ll end up dulling it. Instead, just use a gentle patting motion to remove any excess moisture. It’s a simple way to avoid hair from building up around the blade, which causes it to dull and makes it more likely that your safety razor is going to give you razor burn.
Do a Weekly Clean of Your Safety Razor
If you really want to get the most life out of your safety razor blades, you might want to deep clean them on a regular basis. Now when I say a regular basis, I don’t mean every day. I don’t even mean every other day. All you really need to do to maintain your safety razor blade is a weekly clean. For day-to-day cleaning, running the blade under water is sufficient. For a deeper clean follow these steps:
- Gather Your Tools – Get together some of the things you’ll need for this project. The only equipment you need is a rag, a towel, and some isopropyl alcohol. That’s all you’ll need for this project. A project which should only take about 2-minutes to complete.
- Take Apart the Razor – Take apart the razor and toss out the safety razor blade, if you need to discard it. You don’t want the safety razor blade hanging around where it can cut you, which is why it should be tossed it in the trash. Now you’re ready to begin cleaning your razor.
- Clean the Razor – Wet the rag and use it to clean all parts of the safety razor. Be sure to get all of the soap scum, bit of hair and dead hair cells out of the razor. Do the inside and outside part of the razor head and make sure the handle is clean.
- Reassemble the Razor – Once you’ve cleaned it out, insert a new safety razor blade in it and close it up. At this point, you’d think you would be done but you really aren’t. There’s one more step to take to make sure your razor is really clean.
- Dip the Razor in Alcohol – Once a new safety razor blade has been installed, and the whole unit has been closed up, get a cup and pour some isopropyl alcohol in it. Now dip the razor head in the alcohol. Now place it in a razor stand or on a dry towel. Your razor has now been cleaned.
Do a Quarterly Razor Clean
This is an optional step that people can skip if they feel it’s unnecessary, but it’s something I like to do every 3 to 4 months to really keep my razor in tip-top condition.
- What You’ll Need – For a monthly clean, you’ll need dish detergent, a disposable toothbrush, isopropyl alcohol, a towel, an empty cup, and Q-tips. Once you have your supplies, this cleaning method should be able to be completed in under 4-minutes.
- Disassemble the Razor – Take the razor apart and throw away the safety razor blade.
- Make a Cleaning Solution – Add the dish detergent to the disposable toothbrush and add a little bit of water into a cup. Lightly dip the toothbrush in the water and create a lather. You’re now ready to clean the razor.
- Clean the Razor – Use the toothbrush to thoroughly clean every part of the razor. Make sure you get inside the razor head, outside the razor head, and along the handle. Any spots you can’t reach with the toothbrush, use the Q-tip to clean it.
- Rinse & Dry the Razor – Make sure that rinse off the razor with warm, clean water. Then use your towel and make sure the razor is completely dry.
- Reassemble the Razor – Place a new safety razor blade in your razor and reassemble it. Ensure that you have it locked and ready to shave.
- Give it a Dip – Place some isopropyl alcohol in a cup and then dip the razor in it. Congratulations your razor is now clean and ready to use. It’s That Easy
As you can see, if you take a few moments to buy the best safety razor blade available and you take some time to keep your safety razor in good condition, then you can rest assured that your razor will give you a great shave each and every time.