Umbrellas are among the most widespread items on the planet, the type you find in almost any household throughout the civilized world. No matter where you are in the world, you will most certainly find an umbrella within a 100 feet radius if you go looking. You would presume that being so widespread, umbrellas wouldn’t differ too much in design from one another, when in fact, the good ones definitely stand out from the sub-par models quite obviously.
While it would be convenient for you to go for an average, lightweight folding umbrella, you should bear in mind that quality umbrellas do exist and that they offer a much-improved durability without being too pricey by any means. As a matter of fact, a good umbrella costs as much as a meal at a decent restaurant, a good enough reason as any to take the time and figure out what a good umbrella looks like. To help you in that regard, we put together a list of the ten best umbrellas money can buy for you to look at.
10. Haas-Jordan Hurricane 345 Umbrella
Made from 100% imported nylon, the Haas-Jordan Hurricane 345 Umbrella is light in weight and easy to carry around. Available in an array of assorted colors, it features a golf towel bar system and ribs made from solid high-quality fiberglass. Thanks to its pro-grip heavy-duty rubber handle, it offers optimum grip and hold and is reliably slip-resistant. It also comes with a sturdy shaft made from walnut fiberglass and is extremely reliable. With an extra-large canopy measuring 68 inches in size, it can easily cover up to 4 people at once.
9. Ouwei Black Auto Folding Umbrella
With a shaft made from high quality extra thick stainless steel, the Ouwei Black Auto Folding Umbrella comes designed with a heavy duty wind-proof frame and a canopy made from premium quality pongee material that can withstand the strongest winds and rainfall. Thanks to its automatic open and close function, the umbrella can be opened up by simply clicking a button on the handle. Designed to fold up, the umbrella is compact in size and extremely portable. Suitable for both women and men, it can be utilized during hiking, camping and traveling and can be carried with ease in your purse, school bag, or briefcase.
8. Tadge Goods Auto Travel Umbrella
Offering optimum protection from strong winds and rain, the Tadge Goods Auto Travel Umbrella comes with a special Teflon coating that ensures you stay dry through the roughest weather conditions. Equipped with a large canopy, it features 10 fiberglass ribs and protects you from your shoulder to your knees. It also comes with a push-button handle that allows quick and easy opening and closing. Light in weight and easy to store, it comes with a sturdy non-slip handle and a storage carry case for easy mobility.
7. ZOMAKE Twin-Layer Inverted Umbrella
With a variety of colors and patterns to choose from, the ZOMAKE Twin-Layer Inverted Umbrella is one of the most creative umbrellas available today. Thanks to its inside-out construction, it prevents any water from dripping off, ensuring your floors are dry. Unlike most umbrellas, this one comes with a special open/close design that allows you to get into or out of our car without getting wet or having to close the umbrella completely. Space efficient and compact in size, it stands up on its own when closed and holds together with the help of a Velcro strap. Ideal for those who are mothers or who use their phone a lot, this umbrella comes with a C shaped handle that can be easily crossed over your arm, keeping both your hands-free to use.
6. Lewis N. Clark Automatic Travel Umbrella
Compact in size and light in weight, the Lewis N. Clark Automatic Travel Umbrella folds to a minimal 11 inches in size. With a simple touch of a button, the umbrella automatically opens up to a whole 38 inches. Made from waterproof fabric, it features a quick dry polyester blend and is also resistant to mildew. With ribs and a shaft made with high-quality metal and steel, it boasts a sturdy design and construction. For easy carrying, this umbrella comes with a storage sleeve that is resistant to mold and is water resistant too.
5. Kung Fu Smith KF7002 Black Umbrella
Featuring a classy British London style, the Kung Fu Smith KF7002 Black Umbrella comes with a stylish black handle made from leather, a unique bubble shape, and a luxurious lace bow. Made from pongee fabric and satin, it is uniquely designed with a steel shaft, fiberglass ribs, and a wind-proof sturdy frame. With a one-hand operation, this umbrella can be opened in a second without you worrying about getting wet while getting in or out of your car. Measuring 33.5 inches, this robust umbrella comes with a strong handle covered with anti-slip leather material, offering you with a comfortable grip. Ideal for everyday use or business travel, this stylish umbrella will not only look good but will also keep you dry at all times.
4. Saiveina Auto Open SV1258 Umbrella
The Saiveina Auto Open SV1258 Umbrella is a premium quality umbrella that features a sturdy, robust construction. Made with 16 fiberglass ribs and a central shaft made from aluminum alloy, this umbrella can withstand strong gusts of wind and heavy rain. The canopy of the umbrella is water-resistant, made from PG fiber and is known for its durability and reliability. Designed with a semi-auto open and close function, it takes a second to get the umbrella open, preventing you from getting wet. It also comes with a sturdy handle made from EVA, with a high-quality grip that is comfortable to hold even for long periods. Measuring 39 inches wide, when open and 31.9 inches in length when shut, this stylish umbrella can cover up to 2 people at the same time.
3. Suntek UV Protection Umbrella
Available in 4 vibrant shades, the Suntek UV Protection Umbrella is one among the top grade umbrellas that come with a silver coating UV protective layer that reflects heat and blocks 99% of the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays. Made from premium grade nylon material, the umbrella features a double canopy with a special Vortec venting mechanism that prevents it from inverting during heavy gusts of wind and a comfortable handle with a good grip that is suitable for both left hand and right-hand users. Equipped with a shaft made from fiberglass and durable ribs, the umbrella was made to provide protection from storms, rain, hail, and snow. Featuring an extra-large canopy measuring 68 inches in size, it can easily cover two people or even three.
2. Monstleo Inverted Umbrella
Available in a diverse range of colors and patterns, the Monstleo Inverted Umbrella features a unique inside-out construction that prevents water from dripping. This sturdy umbrella comes with a C-shaped handle that can easily be hooked onto your arm, helping you to keep your hands free to carry other items. Thanks to its special stand-up mechanism, this umbrella can be placed on the floor and made to stand on its own making it space efficient. Made from premium quality pongee fabric that is windproof, this umbrella comes with double layered electric black ribs that enhance the durability and reliability of the umbrella.
1. Repel Windproof Umbrella With Teflon Proofing
Considered as one among the best umbrellas available and popularly known for its premium quality, durability, and reliability, the Repel Windproof Umbrella comes with a special Teflon coating that keeps you protected from heavy rain and stormy weather. Light in weight, compact in size and extremely portable, this umbrella comes equipped with an automatic open and close function that enables one-handed operation. Featuring 9 high-quality ribs made from a blend of resin and fiberglass, it can withstand the strongest winds without inverting. Water-resistant, foldable and weatherproof, it comes designed with a chrome plated black metal shaft that is triple coated, a robust metal frame, an anti-slip handle and a handy wrist strap for added control and stability.
What To Look For When Buying An Umbrella
While some of you would presume that finding a good umbrella isn’t much of a task, the sheer number of sub-standard umbrellas out there should make think otherwise. The reason we say this is because there isn’t a universal standard for umbrellas to adhere to, meaning that manufacturers are often allowed to cut corners during the manufacturing process. To avoid getting an umbrella that will most likely break down after just a couple of uses, you should perhaps take the time and learn about what makes a good umbrella and what characteristics to look for when buying one.
Types of Umbrellas
As we are all aware, there are multiple types of umbrellas out there, available from different brands, in different models, colors, patterns, and shapes. In principle, there are five main categories umbrellas fall into:
- Patio Umbrellas – These are the type of umbrella one uses as a sunshade for their patio furniture and BBQ.
- Beach Umbrellas – As the name suggests, these are the type of umbrellas people take with them when they go to the beach. Similar to patio umbrellas, they mostly serve as sun shaders.
- Commercial Umbrellas – Commercial umbrellas are primarily used at restaurants or businesses that handle their dealings outside, umbrellas tasked with shielding the customers against the elements.
- Market Umbrellas – These umbrellas are employed by open markets, cafes, resorts, or other large establishments that have to deal with a large number of customers on a daily basis.
- Logo Umbrellas – Just like the name implies, logo umbrellas are mostly used for promotional purposes, yet they have to meet the bare minimum standards of protection and reliability nonetheless.
Types Of Umbrella Frames
Umbrellas are constructed with frames made from various materials depending on their intended purpose. These materials must be sturdy and should offer optimum support, especially during rough weather conditions. Believe it or not but frames dictate just how sturdy and reliable umbrellas are, not just in bad weather but in storage as well. In that regard, umbrellas generally employ one of three frame types:
- Fiberglass Frames: One of the most common types of umbrella frames, fiberglass frames are extremely strong and known for their resistance to wind. As you would expect, these umbrellas are generally more expensive than your average umbrellas.
- Aluminum Frames: These type of frames are always light in weight yet offer heavy duty support nonetheless. You will find most low-end umbrellas to be made with an aluminum frame to cut costs.
- Wooden Frames: Ideally utilized in beach umbrellas, this type of frame is usually paired with steel ribs for added stability. It has to be said that wooden frames aren’t all that common for portable umbrellas.
What To Consider When Buying An Umbrella
- Size – Umbrellas are available in a variety of different sizes. The size of the umbrella solely depends on its use. Smaller sized umbrellas are fit for one person, while the bigger sized umbrellas can comfortably cover two people. Smaller umbrellas are easier to carry and are often more portable, which means you can carry them in your purse, handbag or briefcase. Larger ones are usually utilized in gardens and on beaches. The size also depends on the number of people you would like them to cover.
- Hood Material – Umbrella hoods are made from different kinds of materials, which vary in terms of flexibility and strength. You must ensure the material used is one of premium quality, especially something that is durable and reliable even in the roughest weather conditions. Always choose an umbrella that is wind-proof, mildew-proof, and rust-proof, preferably one that does not invert during stormy weather.
- Design – Believe it or not, the overall design of an umbrella is not as important, as it completely depends on your personal choice of color and pattern. However, it is important to check whether the umbrella comes with an easy open/close mechanism and whether you can operate said mechanism with relative ease. Automatic umbrellas are much easier to open and quicker while manual umbrellas require you to slide up the canopy.
- Price – Before buying the right umbrella, it is important to make sure the selected product is within your budget. Shortlisting a set of umbrellas depending on the size, design and hood material is important but the price should also limit your choices. You must also remember that the quality and the price should go hand in hand. Never compromise on quality but also keep a close eye on the price. Last but not least, avoid the cheap models as they do not deliver performance-wise and are of poor quality overall.